The videos stream one right after another. From inspirational graduation speeches to talk shows that cover nothing more than the latest celebrity gossip, the videos that flood social media feeds can be very time consuming. Even when consumers have lots to do, there are many who will spend hours watching the latest Hollywood gossip news.
As a result, the combined revenue for the celebrity gossip industry tops more than $3 billion per year. The industry is so big, in fact, that there are entire channels dedicated to various interests. From hip hop music to black news websites, there is a channel or a venue for everyone. The true stars, of course are the ones who garner support from readers and viewers across all of these genres. Pop singers who capture the heart of theater goers; hip hop entertainers who have a following that is as diverse as professional athletes and teachers. In today’s world of the 24/7 news cycle, it takes a real performer or entertainer to capture the attention of the spotlight for more than a few fleeting moments.
In spite of the short attention span of consumers who have the chance to switch channels or search a new topic every second, however, there are some entertainers who seem to transcend time and capture the attention of the public time and time again:
- As one of the most successful female music artists in the world, Beyonce has an estimated net worth of $450 million. In comparison, her husband Jay-Z has a net worth is $650 million, which brings their collective wealth to $1 billion.
- Floyd Mayweather was the highest celebrity earner in 2014-2015, with an annual income of $300 million.
- Denzel Washington has won two Oscars, and is one of the few black actors to have won an Academy Award. He became the second in history after Sidney Poitier who won his Academy Award in 1963.
- Allowing him to beat out Elvis for the record of most number one albums by a solo artist, Jay Z earned his 11th number one album on the Billboard 200 with The Blueprint 3.
- The Oprah Winfrey Show aired for 25 seasons, beginning in 1986 and ending in 2011. With its placement on 120 channels and an audience of 10 million people, the show grossed $125 million by the end of its first year. Oprah received $30 million of this amount.
- With nearly all of his films grossing over $100 million, Will Smith is one of the film industry’s most highly paid actors.
The biggest and best stars capture not only fans from a certain venue or genre, but also enthusiasts from other interest groups as well. It is quite possible that today, with the wide number of options that are available to consumers, it is harder to be a super star than ever before. Staying on the top of the celebrity gossip sites is an indicator of both fame and fortune.