Kentucky is quite an interesting state, but not many people know much about it. It is a state filled with beautiful landscapes, friendly people, and Southern charm. Here are some things you may not have known about the Bluegrass State.
- Kentucky was the 15th state in the union. It was originally part of Virgina, but since the Kentuckians had to travel long distances to get to their state capital, they felt that they were not represented equally. So back in 1792, Kentucky as able to succeed Virgina and become its own state.
- The state is known for its fried chicken. There is nothing better than a BBQ with traditional fried chicken, grits, and corn on the cob! While their chicken may come up as the most popular, Kentuckians believe their BBQ is the best in the world.
- There is a lot of state pride. You can’t go into any store without seeing Kentucky merchandise such as Kentucky basketball apparel, simply southern shirts, and Makers Mark apparel. Everyone in this state likes to flaunt where they came from with merchandise they can wear so after visiting make sure to bring home some state pride Kentucky gifts home for friends and family.
- Kentucky is home to a natural wonder — the moonbow. It is formed when the light cast off the moon reflects over the Cumberland Falls in the Cumberland River. It is such a unique sight that it is the only place in Kentucky where you can see it.
- The song Happy Birthday to You comes from Kentucky! It was written in this state by Mildred and Patty Hill, who were two sisters that taught Kindergarten. It first started off with the title of ” Good Morning to All” but eventually evolved into the song we all sing today.
- Thomas Edison’s first light bulb was put on display in Kentucky. He debuted it at the Louisville, Kentucky Southern Exposition in 1883.
- Even though bourbon is big here, Kentucky’s state drink is milk!
Kentucky is quite the interesting state. So grab one of your simply southern shirts and come visit the state — we guarantee you’ll love it.